Life is the goal

Life is the goal

Friday, August 22, 2008

James' Birthday

Astronauts!
Join us for an interplanetary journey
to celebrate James's birthday.
Blast off is at 2:30pm on July 19th.
The launch pad is located at __________.
Splashdown at
4:30pm.


For James' birthday in July, he requested a space-themed party. I decorated with blue streamers and black balloons. And I made a cake in the shape of a rocket ship.For presents, we bought him space bedding with planets on them and a poster of the solar system. He knows all the planets and their characteristics from Fisher Price's interactive website for Planet Heroes. We also bought him the Planet Heroes Space Ship that comes with 2 pods. With birthday money from others, allowance, and money from the tooth fairy, he bought some more of the Space Hero action figures.

The main event at his party, other than cake and presents, was making and launching pop rockets. Beforehand, I cut out pieces of construction paper to turn a clear film canister into a rocket. To launch, the parents quickly put baking soda and vinegar in the canister, cap it, and set it on the ground. Most launches failed, but a few were very impressive. The dads enjoyed this long after the kids lost interest.



We tried to play musical planets, something similar to freeze dance and musical chairs with planets on the floor made from construction paper. It didn't work out very well, but some of the kids enjoyed it anyway.

All the cousins loved playing together and eating cake and ice cream. It was fun. Ever since, Isaac has been asking for his birthday. I have a legacy to live up to now too; Isaac is demanding a Disney Cars birthday party.

1 comment:

Brad and Amy said...

BIRTHDAYS!!!! What a great party! Nick just celebrated his 14th birthday and Kaylee has hers coming up in a few days. LOOK, I finally started a blog!!! I am trying to follow your example... Lets see how long I can keep this up! LOL!