James' testing with the psychologist was today. Long story short: James has Aspergers and ADHD. (I am to go in next week for the official diagnosis, after all data has been entered into the computer and everything documented, but the psychologist was quite convinced that my suspicions were correct.)
Because of James' aggression at school (retaliating when harassed) and his difficulty focusing/staying still, the psychologist recommends medication to get that under control before we move on to behavior management plans. We are extremely apprehensive about medicating him due to witnessing so many Ritalin-induced-comatose kids, although I am not entirely opposed to it. I think there are better ways of managing ADHD. I'll have to ask Will the name of that book so I can reread it....
The doctor also said we would most likely be able to get SSI because James' case is "so severe." First of all, if his case is so severe, how come it never came under the radar? Why was he ever dismissed from his IEP? (I don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive Burke Elementary for the way they treated both my son and my husband.) Not that I really argue that it is severe. But I never thought anyone else would see it as such because he does not have the "classic" Asperger case. Second, is it ethical to collect social security for a boy that no one else can see anything wrong with? It sounds like cheating the system. But as I drove back home, the freebie sounded much more rational because it would cover whatever expenses CHIP did not cover. And let's face it: hardly anyone takes Chip. With SSI, maybe I'd have my pick of speech therapists, behaviorists (is that what they are called?), and anyone else experienced with helping kids with Aspergers. Maybe I could even find a private school that could help him! But I better not get my hopes up. Even if James' condition qualified him, we may not be poor enough.
1 comment:
Wow, you've got some tough choices ahead of you. So, is it a relief to have someone listen to you? I love my Rex's OT because she listens, believes, and helps. But people like that have been few and far between. Keep hanging in there--you are an amazing mom, and James is so blessed to have the family he does. Hugs!
Post a Comment