Life is the goal

Life is the goal

Monday, April 29, 2013

Things That Make Me Happy

  • Sunshine
  • Chocolate
  • Dancing -- any kind of partner dancing
  • Experiencing a perfect dance connection for an out-of-this-world 3-minute song
  • Making a newbie dancer feel a little more confident
  •  Hot chocolate on a cold day; smoothies or watermelon on a hot day
  • Fresh fruit (not from the store) 
  • Laughing (especially laughing so hard my stomach hurts or I can't stand up)
  • Kittens
  • Adult time.  No kids! 
  • Solitude.
  • Seeing someone I care about that I haven't seen in a long time
  • Saying no to something I don't want to do
  • Saying yes to something I do want to do, and not feeling guilty about it
  • Smiles from people I know; smiles from strangers
  • When someone remembers my name; when I surprise someone by remembering theirs
  • Getting an email from a friend
  • Love notes from my husband
  • Hugs and forehead kisses
  • Bubbles
  • Music, anything fun and uplifting
  • Watching a good performance
  • Wild flowers along the highway
  • Butterflies.  Butterfly migration season.
  • Blossoming trees and tiny little green shoots poking out of the ground
  • A walk through a nursery (plants)
  • Yard work
  • Building things, repairing things, painting walls, or doing other home improvement projects
  • Seeing the finished product my hands have made
  • Finding edible food to pick in my garden
  • Eating and sharing a delicious meal from a new recipe I tried
  • Warm rain
  • Running
  • Hiking
  • Rollerblading, ice skating, basketball, tennis, bike riding, kickboxing
  • Going someplace I've never been
  • Trying my hand at something I've never done before
  • Driving a stick shift. Laughing when I stall or squeal the tires, re-familiarizing myself with the stick
  • Riding the teacups or similar spinning ride
  • Merry-go-rounds.  How fast can you make it spin?
  • Twisting up the chain on the swing and spinning back out.
  • Those swivel/spinning seats on the playground
  • Spinning around until I'm dizzy
  • Rolling down a grassy hill
  • Daisies
  • Listening to the birds sing
  • The full moon on a clear night
  • A walk in the dark
  • Walking barefoot on soft grass
  • The sound of the surf, the feel of the sand between my toes, & the salty sea air on my sun-kissed skin
  • Beautiful sunsets (especially on the pier)
  • Laying down on my tempur-pedic bed
  • The silence of a kid-free house
  • Sun warmed laundry that smells like the air outside
  • A clean bathroom (especially if I didn't clean it!)
  • Sitting next to a warm fire on a cold day, dressed in sweats and slippers
  • Wearing something that makes me feel pretty and feminine (and not feeling guilty about it)
  • Perfume -- I like to smell pretty too
  • A foot massage from my husband
  • Noticing that my husband did a chore without my asking
  • The sight and smell of freshly mowed lawn 
  • Executing plans with success
  • Picking an apricot off the tree and eating it right there
  • Picking strawberries
  • Ladybugs and green lacewings, especially in my garden
  • The smell after a rain
  • The smell of new books
  • Rich dirt in the springtime
  • Fairs (without kids): roasted corn, real lemonade
  • BBQs and/or picnics
  • Sundresses (in my dreams, right?)
  • Free outdoor concerts
  • The absence of fighting/whining/crying
  • Listening to my husband tell funny stories
  • Fresh air blowing through open windows
  • Holding hands/taking his arm
  • Feeling safe
  • Soft touches that don't tickle
  • Encouraging words 
  • "Thank you, Mom."
  • Christmas lights
  • Halloween: pumpkins, decorations, and dressing up
  • Birthdays: celebrating the birth and existence of someone
  • Art museums
  • Compliments: giving and receiving
  • Magic tricks and street performers
  • Rainbows in the sky
  • The smell of orange blossoms
  • Eating the batter before you bake the brownies or cookies
  • Fresh chocolate chip cookies or bread straight from the oven
  • Old fashioned milk shakes and fries
  • Jumping in a pile of leaves
  • Feeding the ducks
  • Leaning back and looking up at the leaves from a swing on a tree
  • Seashells
  • Windchimes
  • Prisms casting rainbows
  • Water fountains
  • The look in his eyes
  • The amazing things people are capable of
  • Witnessing kindness between people
  • Bright colors
  • Blowing dandelions
  • Eyes -- they are the windows to the soul
  • Finishing something
  • Writing
  • Stand-up comedians
  • Stumbling upon chalk art in the park
  • Murals, sculptures, interesting architecture (like downtown San Diego/Horton Plaza)
  • The Tiki Room at Disneyland
  • Great sex
  • Smell of fresh herbs
  • National Geographic
  • Exploring a national or state park (without kids)
  • Seeing the leaves change color
  • Fireworks
  • Sand Castles
  • Truth and Authenticity

No comments: