Life is the goal

Life is the goal

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Megan's Princess Party

I never wanted my little girl to like pink or frilly princess things, but she tended towards girly things anyway. Fortunately, as you can see by her room, I guided her towards purple which she now declares as her favorite color. She's not into really frilly things, but she likes her nails painted and she loves wearing dresses on Sunday (although they are impractical for everyday play, especially when she insists on Mom holding up her dress when she goes to the bathroom).

Because she adores princesses, I knew she'd love it if I had a princess themed birthday party. Now, in the past, I haven't done a theme and we usually just celebrated it with her brothers. But now that they are getting older and live near cousins and we have an income, I thought I could indulge my kids with themes they liked. After all, taking after my mom, I like making birthdays special.

I made cute invitations and folded them up like a message from the palace and I found a Disney princess picture online to add to the bottom:

Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Her Majesty, Princess Megan

Of the house of Roberts

Requires your presence at the celebration

Of the 4th year of her birth,

At our castle ________

June 7th, 2:30pm

RSVP _______ to

Queen Julie and King Rex;

Crowns and castles too,

Nothing short of a royal celebration will do!!


I actually bought princess paper plates, cups, and napkins, and I put up pink balloons and streamers. Megan was so excited, she was asking to take a nap since 9am because she knew her party wouldn't start till after her nap. Then she couldn't get to sleep for an hour at nap time. I had little bead necklaces and made paper crowns for all her cousins to wear when they came. I made a chocolate castle cake with vanilla frosting that we dyed pink and put ice cream cones on it like turrets and frosted them with vanilla frosting that we dyed purple.Opening presents was like Christmas for Megan. She was frantically ripping them open; Rex said she'd told him earlier that she didn't want anyone else to open them because she knew her brothers would want to "help" her. She loved all her presents. I got some Princess/Strawberry shortcake/Barbie things from Freecycle. I found a couple of "singing books" and a Princess Game Box (gorgeous Princess drawer of different games like checkers, go-fish, bingo, etc.) at Walgreens on clearance. She got bubble wands, a My Little Pony toy, stickers, dresses, and movies from the rest of her family. She was thrilled with all her girl-toys and movies. Because I didn't really want her to be so girly and because she has brothers, we don't have a lot of girl toys/movies. Besides, she doesn't play with dolls and there's isn't much else to buy that has to do with Princesses.

We played a couple games: sift through sand to find jewels; kiss the frog prince (version of pin the tale on the donkey); princess and the pea (find the ball under the pillow). The kids played with all our different bubble toys, the sand box, the trampoline, and any toys we had.

I had never seen Megan so happy in her life. Her face was lit up and she was obviously on Cloud Nine. I finally understand what Joy in Your Children is like. Usually, the saying "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished" fits my service to my kids. We do everything for them and usually they whine and cry about it not being good enough. But this time, Megan actually appreciated what I did for her. Seeing her so happy made me happy. So all that I did was not a waste. But now I have quite a legacy to live up to for the next birthday party....

Thank you Voglers for celebrating with us and helping to make Megan's Big Day special.






No comments: