Life is the goal

Life is the goal

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Like Mother Like Child

I laugh at how much I am like my mom. From my gestures and mannerisms to the things I say and how I say them -- it's exactly like her. When we went home to visit, it was most amusing to see that we even sit with the same postures and positions.

Every once in a while, I see my kids do or say the same things I do, and it makes me smile. But other times, I see them say something and I cringe, knowing they got it from me.

Isaac loves to listen to my iPod, especially my running playlist. He loves the energetic songs. Unfortunately, most of those song lyrics have sexual references. I know very well that they are inappropriate, but they are so catchy, fun, and invigorating. I've heard of people listening to books or conference while running, but that just does NOT energize me. Somehow, they just don't make fun music with clean lyrics anymore.

Anymore? Did they ever? As I got older, I realized all the music I was listening to as a kid had the same messages they do today. I didn't know it then, but as I'd sing along with the music as an adult, I'd gasp and think, "Oh my gosh! I never knew that's what that was about!"

When Isaac is listening to my iPod, it's super cute hearing him sing along with the music. ...until he says things like "let's hit the sweet spot." He has no idea what it really means, but all the kids have told me that it's such a pretty song. I had to explain to them that it was really about something sexual and wasn't such a pretty song, but I am guilty of liking it too because the music is so fun. So when "Blow my Whistle" comes on the radio in the car, as catchy and fun as it is, I have to change it because I can't bear to hear them repeat those words!

And yet I still listen to it when they are not with me. (What a hypocrite!) I really wouldn't think anything of it if wasn't coming from the mouth of babes. What kind of a role model am I to be introducing them to such language and entertainment?

At least this one is okay.  One of their other favorite songs is "I'm Your Only Shorty." Funny, they think it's all about them. Ha! Sorry, guys, wrong shorty.   It's MY song. (I like the Demi Lovato version better, but this is the best I can find.)



No comments: