Life is the goal

Life is the goal

Thursday, April 22, 2010

James' SSI

It has been almost one year since we started the whole process of applying for James' SSI. Two days ago, we got a check in the mail for a large sum of money for him. It came with no explanation so I don't know how much he received per month since it is calculated based on how much income (or gifts) and resources you reported each month. But I do know it is retroactively paid since September when I appealed their original decision. It's a good thing he got approved when he did because James will not be receiving any moneys for a while since Rex won his Unemployment Appeal and was paid in a one-lump sum way more than the allowable resource limit for SSI. James' approval is good for one year, so when we deplete our resources, he can receive it again. The next step is to use his SSI money by finding a martial arts class we like and signing him up. What a long process!

No comments: