With such a hot summer and so little rain, followed by a harsh winter (for Texas standards) we lost a lot of plants, even the ones that are recommended for this area. We had to replaced a lot of landscape plants. I'm mostly sticking with plants that I know survived both seasons, and trying out some others that are also recommended for the area that
should do well. A few plants froze to the ground and are bouncing back, even though they don't normally freeze at all here. The following pictures will show you what our new landscaping looks like and I plan to follow it up with pictures of more mature plants in a few months.

Our fabulous Night Blooming Jasmine froze to the ground but it broke my heart to dig up the root, knowing it would probably come back. But with evenings as hot as they are here, we could rarely enjoy the fragrance coming in through the front window. Even the Blue Plumbago froze and died, so I had to replace it. I think it might have come back on it's own, but I wasn't sure and I was impatient. The coral vine did well so I planted more of it, but we tore out the frozen Hibiscus, which I never should have planted in the first place.

Cross Vine on front of house
Cross Vine on front of house

Blackfoot Daisy replaced the Red Apple Ice Plant

Mint and Turks Cap that are coming back from their grave

Back Fence Flower Bed with dwarf Crape Myrtles to shade the different varieties of Salvia/Sage and Dusty Miller, and a couple of Day Lilies on the end

Our Red Tip hedges got diseased and we hacked them all down (good riddance!) and replaced them with Nandina. The Lantana is coming back from the dead
No comments:
Post a Comment